Craig Shepard leads silent, cell-phone-free walks, usually through city spaces. By committing to each other to keep silence, a group creates a bubble of stillness which moves through the urban landscape. Shepard researches and designs each route, freeing participants of the need to consider where they are going so that they can focus simply on where they are. In this way, they can have a new experience with where they live.
No. 16: Broadway Walk
Saturday, June 21st, 2014
A 13.7-mile silent cell phone free walk down the length of Broadway as part of Make Music New York. The walk began promptly at 11:45 am, paused at 2:00 at Columbia to listen to Sciarrino's piece for 100 saxophones and at Bryant Park at 4:30 to listen to Berlioz's Symphony for Band. Joined by Jacob Nussdorf, Seth Cluett, Dan Joseph, and Jennifer Eberhardt.
Nos. 1-13: On Foot: Brooklyn
Sundays February 26, through May 20, 2012
All walks originated in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
- February 26, to Bensonhurst, northeast corner of 18th Avenue and 85th Street, under the elevated tracks. Part of the Composer's Now Festival.
- March 4, to Canarsie, Rockaway Parkway north of Glenwood Road. Joined by Jogrim Erland and Ron Shalom.
- March 11, to South Williamsburg, Roebling Playground
- March 18, to East New York, Gateway Center Mall, in front of Marshalls. Joined by Daniel Ross and Bijan Rezvani.
- March 25, to Red Hook, to the northeast Corner of Van Brunt and Van Dyke Streets. Joined by Katie Porter and Christian Kobi.
- April 1, to Greenpoint, to the Newton Creek Nature Walk. Joined by Howard Gordon.
- April 8, to Fort Hamilton, in front of Dover Patrol Monument obelisk
- April 15, to Coney Island, to the end of Stillwell Ave, on the Boardwalk
- April 22, to Downtown Brooklyn, Times Triangle, NE corner of island at intersection of Flatbush, Atlantic, and 4th Avenues
- April 29, to Cypress Hills, southwest corner of Force Tube and Ridgewood Avenues
- May 6, to Bedford-Stuyvesant, Von King Recreation Center, in the field behind the ball field
- May 13, to Sunset Park, top of Sunset Park. Joined by Jack Callahan.
- May 20, to the Sheepshead Bay footbridge.